Friday, March 21, 2008

Finally closed on that building yesterday afternoon. Though I did not get the money at the time (today, yea, today) and did not take care of enough back rent issues, I feel some relief and surprise (that's it's done), some emptiness. Of course, Lu's negativeness about not getting the money made it even more anti-climatical. I felt some comfort being with Ian and Holly. And Ian taking care of the meal added to that comfort. Glad I talked to Rob since I had no one to empathize (after Lu's tired and weak and unappreciative state). I even focused on Hus Nu's voice.

Still, I have concern that the place will not be addressed as well. Each tenant with their various issues and promises to pay in the future. Smalls, the evictions of the other 2, Bins---all necessary unfinished business, maybe mistakes for letting them go on. Empty rooms. Happy to give securities to the good tenants. Couldn't believe the Indian guy asking if they are the blacks being evicted.

What I won't miss: 1) kevin saying: "we have a problem, Jayeff". 2) new tenant stopping paying rent after being there only a week 3) heat problem 4) Heat cranked up high 5) bright light bulbs, 6) dirty floors 7) mess out back 8) empty rooms 9) lousy rooms 10) strangers in hall 11) disappointing rent collection 12) empty promises to pay 13) millions of calls from potential tenants 14) screen thousands 15) fire marshall 16) fire alarm being pulled 17) loosing money each month 18) very high cost of oil 19)fighting with Lu over this 20) high cost of plumbers 21) electric problem in the back 22) too much electric load 23) bad news from Lionel in his ominous voice 24) having to lower the price again 25) the long drive to the building 26) pulling up to the building, feeling like roaches see me coming and hiding 27) mailbox keys 28) bathroom doors not working or being kicked in 29) front door coming off the hinges and doing a temp fix 30) tenants changing locks 31) loud booming music echoing in the halls 32) more people living there that shouldn't 33) no finding a place to park out front 34) the broken up driveway in the back 34) the defects in the shingles on the rear biulding 35) the porch, shoddy work 36) the unfriendly long haired tire mechanic 37) lots of long calls from Kevin ---but I'll miss him. 38) The lousy neighborhood, 39) not dealing with Tangi --- extreme anger problem and all the other nasty tenants like that woman in 1A, Barry, G and those early on.

I've gain a new connection with Blacks that I hadn't before. Many of the tenants were friendly and I lost seeing them as blacks. It was a very subtle and growthful experience. Kevin was enjoyable to work with. I should send him some $$.

Sad in acknowledging a failure in making, in not getting the 3rd and 4th floors running. Got the heat ok after too much money. But I have to keep reminding myself what Lu says: couldn't find enough people for them floors. It'll certainly be amazing to see it done and get my $110k. I cannot image how that will go badly, affecting my take. But I give it high chance to go badly. But I didn't expect the closing until it did.

A sense I should be doing something with that building but not sure what. A little sense of loss, compounded by not being with Lu this weekend. I have lots to do: taxes, getting 9-B and 54-3 ready for renting. Once that's done, I have 6 NC to work on, and look forward to hanging out in NYC. Maybe some white water canoing trip. Some volunteer at Great White??? Teaching. Creating some photo---art thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home